June 28, 2013

Ryan's Birthday Party

First, let me start with the night before Ryan's birthday party, where Oliver and I had just sat down to some pizza and a beer when the wind began to blow. And then the rain began pounding. And the wind began to blow harder. And poof! The power was out. So for the next half hour, we ate our pizza by candlelight (despite the fact that it stays dark past 9 these days, the sky was BLACK!), staring in amazement out the windows and the storm coming through. Then the rain stopped and we, along with the rest of the neighborhood, walked outside to this:

 

 
So, with no power and thankful that ours wasn't one of the houses on the block with a new, more avant-garde landscaping scheme, or worse, we turned in for an early night.

Fast-forward through a sleepless night of more storms to a 6-am wakeup by our Norahlarm and still no power.  AARRGH! I think we have to cancel. Tears (mine). Well.... what if we maybe wait until ten? If we get power by then, I think I can still make it happen. BOOM. Power comes on. Like, literally, right then.

Fast-forward again through a solid hour of picking up leaves and sticks and branches, reassembling our 15'x15' rented tent (thank God I made Oliver take it down before the storm hit!!), and planning a new menu due to food that had to be thrown out (no power + 80 degrees in my kitchen = one warm fridge).

Now, the part you came for:

Ryan had awesome birthday party last Saturday with lots of our friends and some family, too, enjoying brats, hot dogs, salads (thank you Jessica and Amy for coming through in a bind!) and blackberry cupcakes. The kids had a great time trying out Ryan's new water table (a gift from Tita and Abuelo) and chasing eachother around the yard! The weather could not have been nicer - bright and sunny and warm!

 Birthday Experts Norah and Max "helping" Ryan open presents.
 How awesome is it that they still make these?
 "Forget the candles, Mom, just let me have the cupcakes!"
 Sorry, Oliver, the claw doesn't work with babies and cupcakes!
 Licking off the blackberry frosting...Yep, that's the only part she ate!
Already trying to impress the ladies!

So, despite the crazy start to the story, all was well in the end. Ryan's first birthday has come and gone and I can't believe I have a proper toddler. A sweet, snuggly, ticklish toddler. Who threw his sister's underwear and half a roll of toilet paper in the toilet this afternoon.

2 Hellos!:

Leslie said...

I can't believe that storm! How long do you think those trees have been there?! Geesh. Happy birthday, Ryan!!

The Polizzi Crew said...

Can't believe he's one already! Happy birthday, little guy! Miss you all. XOXO

 
Copyright © Perez Post | Theme by BloggerThemes & frostpress | Sponsored by BB Blogging