November 10, 2016

To Norah.

Baby Girl,

The last couple of days have been dark. Dark and scary and I find myself on the verge of tears day and night. I’ve been up late and up early, trying to make sense of it. We (not Daddy and me, but a lot of our fellow Americans) chose our new President on Tuesday and he is not a good man. He has lied and cheated and stolen in life and in business. He has said some truly terrible things about women and girls, about people of color, about people whose faith isn’t the same as ours.  And lots of people listened. And that makes us scared, kiddo. Because we don’t hate anybody in this in house. Not even Donald Trump. But it scares me to know that so many Americans are okay with the things he’s said. And done.

I went to your school yesterday. A school filled with lots and lots of kids who are immigrants and whose families are immigrants. I looked into those beautiful brown faces and I was ashamed. I was embarrassed that so many people who look like me think it’s okay to talk down to people who look like them. I left your school and I cried.

I tuck you in at night telling you that you are strong, smart and brave. I tell you that kindness is our highest calling. I wanted to show you that everyone in this beautiful country thinks like that. That Love Trumps Hate. I wanted our first WOMAN President.  I wanted the pleasure of knowing that your first ten years of life would be marked by Presidents who were unlike any other Presidents before them. But we didn’t get that. And Tuesday night was so hard. I held you while you slept and told you how sorry I was. That I wished I could have done more. I’m just one Mommy, I know. But I want so much for you.

And the sun came up on Wednesday and then again today. And I am confident that it will keep coming up. I let the sun shine on me and warm me and remember that we are good people. We are a strong family. And this family will practice kindness and generosity and love every day. Regardless of who sits in that big house in Washington, we will be the same people. We will double down on our commitment to those less powerful than us. We will care for women and children and immigrants and for those who have less than we do. All the things that he won’t do, we will do twofold. And kiddo, there are lots and lots of people like us. I know, because I see them every day. They are the helpers and they are there every single day, working for good in the world.

I do know we’re going to be okay. We lost this fight, but love always wins. A writer I like says that when things are dark or scary, we should just focus on doing the next right thing. And for right now, that thing is to hold you and love on you a little extra. Frankly, a little more than you’d like (you’re not much for snuggling). We are going to be ok. I don’t know how, but I have faith.

I love you.

Mommy

0 Hellos!:

 
Copyright © Perez Post | Theme by BloggerThemes & frostpress | Sponsored by BB Blogging