September 16, 2009

DIY Granola

I've been making a lot of homemade granola lately for a couple of reasons - mainly because it's much cheaper than grocery store granola because you can buy the ingredients in bulk and because you can switch up the recipes to include whatever ingredients you have on hand but also because I thought we were out of oatmeal and we weren't, so now we have two of those big tubs of oatmeal...

The key thing with any granola recipe is that you can add or subtract or exchange as needed. You have to have some oatmeal, oil and something sweet (honey or sugar) but other than that it's free range.

Here's the recipe I used for the batch shown above, but again, just mix it up - whatever you have on hand or whatever's on sale in the bulk section will work!

Melinda's Homemade Granola Recipe (from www.slashfood.com)
  • 2 cups rolled oats (regular is better but I used instant)
  • 1 cup peanuts or toasted almonds
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup coconut (I had unsweetened but I think sweetened would be fine)
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (chopped dried apricots, craisins, chopped dried apples, etc.)
  • scant 1/4 cup cooking oil (not olive)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the oats, nuts, grains, coconut and salt in a large bowl (basically everything but the fruit).

Measure oil into the measuring cup and swirl it around before pouring into bowl. Then measure out the honey in the same, unwashed cup. The oil will help the honey come out of the cup.

Toss everything together until evenly coated and then pour out onto a cookie sheet with a lip.

Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, turning it with a spatula every ten minutes or so. You want everything to be an even golden brown.

When it is finished cooking, returned the baked granola to the mixing bowl, add the raisins and fruit and stir to combine.

S
tir gently several times as it cooks, so that it doesn't clump together too much.

I like mine in a mug with just a splash of milk; Oliver likes it mixed with yogurt.

0 Hellos!:

 
Copyright © Perez Post | Theme by BloggerThemes & frostpress | Sponsored by BB Blogging