I made it through my first shift counting cars this morning. It was way more high-tech than I expected, and also much colder. I was pretty bundled up, but sitting in a lawn chair moving only your fingers for 3 hours gets a wee bit chilly!So here's the deal: they assign you a corner, give you a hand-held computer thing (like in the picture), and you record every movement a car makes. So, if a car comes north-to-south and turns left, that's one button. East-to-west and goes straight through, another button. Trucks and pedestrians have a special coding, too. (Greta, this answers the question about why they can't just use those cable things you drive over). I actually had to pay far more attention than I thought I would have to.
I have another shift this afternoon and I already called dibs on the same corner :)
2 Hellos!:
Clearly it takes some serious smarts to do a traffic count. It's obvious we don't give those folks enough credit. mom
I had no idea that counting traffic was so high tech. I would get confused if too many cars came through at once! You could save one of the acorns and plant it. It might make a nice memento albeit not very movable. Dad
Post a Comment